• Home
  • Routine May maintenance

Routine May maintenance

Since I have been cooped up at home during the pandemic, it has given me a lot of time to catch up on things around the house and get a lot of needed tasks done.  Yard work, filling rabbit holes, seeding bare spots, but you don’t want to hear about that stuff.  After painting the garage and getting all of my tools sorted and accounted for, I decided to do some catching up on more S2000 maintenance.  I had been putting off a brake fluid change and it was finally time.  I ended up going with ATE TYP 200 race brake fluid, not that I needed it but because it made me feel cool.  I went with the tried and true gravity bleed method because I had nothing but time on my hands.  While each corner was bleeding, I decided to deep clean the inboard side of the wheels with a steam cleaner and they turned out great.

Unfortunately, when I was bleeding the rears, I noticed that the tires were embarrassingly bald.  The fronts were still at about 50% tread left, which is pretty typical wear on these cars due to the rear alignment settings having a lot of toe-in.  I was originally going to just get a pair of back tires but then I found that Goodyear doesn’t make Eagle GT tires anymore and they are now called Eagle GT II with a totally different tread pattern.  I am not a fan of mixing tires, especially on a scalpel precision machine like the S2000, so I ended up using some of my stimulus money to get a set of four stock sized Continental Extreme Contact summer tires since they come highly recommended and are budget-friendly.  I hope that they make them well into the future so I can just get a pair of rear tires next time.

Luckily, I had just enough brake fluid left to cycle through the clutch fluid.

The final task for the weekend was fixing a few rattles.  The rearview mirror needed to be tightened and there was a very annoying rattle coming from the interior light area.  I took that apart and found that the plastic wiring harness connector was banging against the metal above so I cut some foam double-sided tape to provide a cushion between the plastic and metal.  I took it for a test drive and … result.  Job done!